Keeping you safe on campus
Your safety is UNSW Security’s top priority. We have developed a range of tools, services and even an app to help you stay safe both on and off our campus.
Here are our top tips for you to stay safe:
- Download the StaySafe@UNSW app – the Security app provides you with direct access to a number of Security Services. This app also features a flashlight and alarm, and access to emergency procedures. Available for free from the App Store or Google Play.
- Catch the night shuttle bus – this free service operates Monday – Friday 6.30pm to 11.30pm (excluding public holidays) around the Kensington and Randwick campuses and surrounding streets. You can track the location of the night shuttle bus on the StaySafe@UNSW app.
- Request a safety escort – UNSW Security is on call to accompany you from your location on campus to car parks, bus stops and taxi ranks. This service is free. Safety escorts are available after hours, all year round. Call 9385 6000 to request or visit one of the Help Points located on campus to request an escort.
- Locate a help point – help points are strategically located across the campus to help ensure your safety. Pressing the red button will connect you directly to UNSW Security.
- Getting around at night – on and off campus remember to:
- Keep to well-lit areas and use paths such as University Walk, which is patrolled by Campus Security Officers
- Be alert, don’t walk with earphones in your ears
- Keep your valuables hidden from sight
- Try to walk in groups or pairs and arrange to walk home with friends
- Never take short cuts through parks or vacant lots
- Register for UNSW Alert SMS - if a major incident occurs on campus – a building fire, for example – the UNSW Major Incident Response Team will alert you via the UNSW Alert SMS. To be sure you receive these alerts, you must make sure your mobile phone details are up to date in myUNSW. It only takes a minute to update and verify your details to make sure you know exactly what to do in an emergency on campus.
Find out more on how to stay safe on campus both day and night.
Need to contact Security?
Call 9385 6000 for General Security
Call 9385 6666 for Campus Emergency
Visit the Security Office at Gate 2, open 24/7.